How to comfort a friend
- Show affection – Sometimes our words escape us, but really one of the most effective things you can do is non-verbal. You can show your friend affection and comfort by putting your arm around his or her shoulders or offering a hug.
- Listen – Simply listening to your friend’s problems can be highly effective. We advice to simply listen and not try to solve your friend’s problems.
- Validate feelings – Validate your friend’s feelings. Some simple statements, such as “that must be so difficult” or “I can understand why you’d feel that way”, can provide your friend with a lot of comfort during a difficult time.
- Help with basic needs – When on is upset, it can be hard to take care of the basics. You can help your friend by making sure he or she gets enough to eat , encouraging rest and relaxation, and providing much needed tissues.
- Give them space – Sometimes a friend will need space instead of constant contact. If your friend says he or she wants to be alone, they are probably telling the truth.
- Ask how you can help – One of the easiest ways to know how to comfort your friend is to simply ask him or her what they need from you. You can’t be expected to read their mind. Maybe they needs space or perhaps they want ice cream and their favorite movie. You’ll never know unless you ask.
Check out the video below for more tips: